Wednesday, February 01, 2012

For the babies

When I have been knitting lately it has all been for babies. I know so many pregnant women right now it is kind of ridiculous. I love baby knits though, because they are quick and thus more instantly gratifying than say a sweater for me would be. Although, I would like to knit something for myself again one of these days.

Here are a couple of hats I knit for my cousin who had her baby in December. At the time I made these they did not know if they were having a boy or a girl, so the green colors seemed like they would work for either. They had a boy, and I think that they actually are a bit more boyish colors, but Alice tried them on for me while I was making them and she looked pretty cute in these colors, too.


I knit these based on a basic adult hat pattern. I just fiddled around with it for a bit to figure out how many stitches would work for a baby. I think it ended up being 70 something and I was using maybe US 5 needles. I can't really remember, which is kind of a bummer because it means I'll have to do the trial and error process again the next time. Maybe it will come back to me if I decide to make more of these.

I also made a blanket for the babe. I used two flannel fabrics and sewed them together, then I crocheted a decorative edge all the way around. I must say this ended up being more time consuming than I originally anticipated. I did a blanket stitch by hand all the way around to give me something to crochet into. I found ways to do this with a machine online, but I couldn't find the right needle and just decided to go totally hand made. It turned out really cute and I'd love to make one again sometime, but I may look into a quicker option for establishing that base stitch row.




I got an email recently from the mom saying that the hats fit great and stay on his head and that the blanket gets lots of use for tummy time. So, sounds like these were successful gifts :)

I'm working on a whole bunch of other gifts that I hope to post about soon. Booties and hats and maybe another blanket, we'll see. I just hope I can find the time to get them all done before the babies are all a year old :)

No comments: