Monday, September 24, 2007

Baby Shower Crafty Fun

My best friend is due in October with her first child. It's a boy and I wanted to help plan a shower for her. She lives in MT as well, just 3 hours away (it is totally crazy that we both ended up in MT. We've been friends for 23 years). I designed an invitation, then wrapped some Hershey's minis in labels with a similar theme. I then decided I'd take the images from the invite and make some onesies. I used inkjet iron-on paper. In my experience these kinds of shirts don't last long, but for a little baby that is probably fine. He won't wear them very long. The shower was this past weekend and it was a ton of fun. She got some really great gifts. That baby will be stylin' :)

The theme for the invite was "rock & roll". Her husband plays the drums and I thought it would be fun to use that as a theme since they're having a boy. I developed the format/design based of a drum illustration I found. I made stickers that said "It's a Boy" to put over the bass drum to hold the invite closed. When opened it said "Let's Rock & Roll" . . . etc. They turned out so well I was thinking they could even work as birth announcements. Just replace the inside center page with a picture of the baby and the name, birthday, etc. info on the side panels.

This picture isn't very good, but I just made labels with the "It's a Boy" and drumset illustration and wrapped them around the minis. I used the full sheet label paper. It works well, although the color is dull due to the matte finish. I don't know if they make a glossy version but if they do it would probably work even better.

I created the designs for the onesies on the computer based off the colors and images from the invite. The only exception was one with a pic of a baby playing the drums. It's a great image. I then printed and ironed on the designs. I also gave her a "My 1st Levis" gift box that had a baby pair of Levis and a Jean jacket in it, along with a pair of socks and a T-shirt. I also gave her a Smartwool baby hat and mitten set in blue and red. Everything coordinated so she can mix and match. I can't wait to see him in everything!

2 comments:

Knitterella said...

Everything looks so cute! Good job! Wish I could zoom in a bit more to see the details - looks great though! You sure are having fun! :)

Jill

Anonymous said...

hey jill. i do need to post bigger pics to show more detail. i'm so used to downsizing everything for websites. thanks for the comments!

s